In 1894, a Mr Robert Lane migrated to Australia and settled in a bark and slab hut, which was replaced in 1915 by a building of brick walls and iron roof. Named “Mt Pleasant”, the home and property were, at that time, located on Bowen Bridge Road between Thondley and Bowen Streets. This section is now named Roblane Street after Mr Robert Lane.
On the 18th August, 1925 the site and buildings were acquired by Archbishop Duhig for the princely sum of 1,750 pounds. Initially Mass was celebrated in one of the property’s houses, however following many fund raising effort preparations were made for the erection of a church-school. The foundation stone was laid by Mgr James Byrne (later first Bishop of Toowoomba) on 1st August, 1926. The building was later blessed and opened on October 10, 1926 by Archbishop Duhig.
Following extensions the church building, the Holy Rosary School was officially opened in 1929. The Sisters of St. Joseph were welcomed to the Windsor parish by Archbishop Duhig at Mass on 27th January 1929, and the school was formally opened the next day. A total of 120 students attended on opening day.
Archbishop Duhig’s dream of a “very beautiful church” was realised in 1953. The Sisters of St. Joseph were sadly farewelled from Holy Rosary School at the close of 1977 after 49 years in the service of Catholic education in the parish.Read More...
Lutwyche Parish - Lutwyche
Parish Priest: Rev Jose Thekkemuriyil CMI
Parish office address:
Cnr of Chalk and Morris Street, Lutwyche 4030
PO Box 1297, Lutwyche 4030